A lot of stuff happened since the last update I guess!
Let’s talk about the things we added since the last update! (which was ages ago!)
Micron has been especially hard at work!
He has used Autodesk’s FBX SDK to add support for FBX files to piko3D.
We can now models and animations from FBX files, which can be used to export models from 3DSMax and Maya, as well as Blender, to name a few. He also added support for specific prefixes, similar to those used with Unreal SDK, that enables artists to specify physics proxies directly in the model.
I’ve been working on a particle emitter, that can help scripters deal with particles in an efficient way.
It doesn’t provide any functionality that couldn’t also be made entirely in script, however the native implementation will make it a lot easier and faster to handle large amounts of objects in this way.
I’ve also been working on sprite particles, which I will finish at a later time. This will offer a nice way to do things like smoke, fire, or rain without too much hassle!
Picking! We already had pixel based picking, but we’ve added physics based ray-picking as well, which is a powerful tool for our game developers. Nice for building guns, or for use as a type of sensor via script.
In all that “Excitement” Paramike also optimized our renderer and is working hard on improving threading and memory management, and a preliminary test with a couple of thousand objects has already resulted in a speed improvement of around 40% on rendering! Woohoo!
So even though there were things like, DragonAge Inquisition… The Witcher 3 (Go and play that if you haven’t yet!) and Fallout 4, we still managed to make some things happen 😉
I’ll try update a bit more often 😀
Alright! That’s it for now.
Thanks for reading!